Saturday, June 18, 2011

I love doing triathlons and a couple of months ago I was wanting to another one, so I signed myself up for the Provo Triathlon. It turns out that I didn't work out for 2 weeks before the triathlon. But I survived! Ben was so awesome and woke up at 6 to come watch me swim, bike run! (I'm pretty sure he came because he wasn't sure that I'd actually be able to finish)

Here I am getting my transition area set up. This is also when Ben was exposed to the insane triathlon-ers. It was hilarious to hear him make fun of people with $5000 bikes and unnecessary gear. Because it's true, they are ridiculous. Also, that "22" on my calf is my age. I expected them to write my number on my calf so when they asked me for my age, I must admit all I could say was "uhhh."



EVERYONE was wearing wetsuits! I was really embarrassed while we all stood waiting to get in the water but I didn't get hypothermia and I didn't have to pull off a wetsuit! But it was a beautiful sunny morning!


Water polo instincts kicked in at this phase of the race. Water polo girls do not put up with people swimming over the top of them, so out my elbows and kicks came! After I informed people of swimming ettiquette, the swim went well, Utah Lake is not as disgusting as everyone says it is but it was real flooded! So flodded in fact, that they cancelled the olympic distance race! I guess my lack of ambition paid off!

As Ben lovingly pointed out to me, I have a weak bike game. I know this. About 2 weeks before the triathlon I still didn't have a bike. So Ben and I shopped around for bikes on-line and I just wasn't feeling spending a ton of money on a bike. One day, Ben took me home for lunch and there was a brand new bike on our doorstep!! It was so sweet! He said he had butterflies while we were walking to our house...He is the best!!


And here's the finish! I look like I'm about to bust out into a "single ladies" routine, but really I just have wimpy looking fists. I finished 14th overall and 7th in my age group.

Maybe someday I'll actually train for a triathlon. Until then, I love suffering through them!

1 comment:

  1. WAYY TO GO GIRL!!! I am so proud of you. Like waay way proud.
    you are amazing. fareals.

    ReplyDelete